Other resource people

Your healthcare provider may refer you to other emotional health resource people, such as:

  • a psychologist or psychotherapist who can offer talk therapy to help you better understand your problems and the behaviour patterns you have used to cope with them, and to learn better ways of coping
  • a therapist specializing in cognitive behavioural therapy who can work with you to identify thought processes that make your emotional health issues worse, along with the situations that trigger them in you, and help you to replace these negative thought patterns with more positive, reassuring ones. This form of therapy has shown much promise in helping people living with HIV
  • a social worker or counsellor who may be able to help you with practical assistance, such as housing and financial support, if these things are barriers to your health
  • a psychiatrist who can do a psychiatric assessment, offer psychotherapy and prescribe antidepressants or other medications
“It’s important to have support in your life. Find a good counsellor or therapist with whom you can go into the darkest, scariest part of it all and confront your fears.”

You may also find it helpful to speak to a trusted healer or knowledge keeper in your community, or a an Indigenous healer or a spiritual or religious leader in your community.

Learning how to take care of your emotional health is an important part of living well with HIV. By maintaining a healthy mind in a healthy body, you can look forward to not only a long life, but also a fulfilling and meaningful life with HIV.