Hepatitis C Key Messages - Testing
You can have hepatitis C and not know it. The only way to know if you have hepatitis C is to get tested for it.
- Almost half the people with hepatitis C in Canada do not know they have it. Talk to your nurse or doctor about getting tested for hepatitis C.
- You can have hepatitis C for many years without having symptoms or feeling sick, even though the virus is injuring your liver.
- You usually get two tests: the first test checks if you have ever had hepatitis C. A second test confirms if you have hepatitis C right now.
- Treatment cures over 95% of people with hepatitis C.
- If you have hepatitis C, talk to your nurse or doctor about your treatment options.
- No one is immune to hepatitis C, even if you have had it before. There is no vaccine for hepatitis C.