In Yukon, the government sponsored prescription drug program is known as Yukon Pharmacare, and it is administered by Yukon Health and Social Services.

Who is eligible?

There are a number of criteria that you must fulfill in order to be eligible. First, you must be registered with the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan (YHCIP).

Also, you must be a Yukon resident of at least 65 years of age, or aged 60 and married to a living Yukon resident who is at least 65 years of age. For those who are already registered with the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan, a Pharmacare program application will be sent to you in the month during which you turn 65.

How much does it cost?

The Yukon Pharmacare program will pay the total cost of the lowest priced prescription drug listed in the Yukon Pharmacare Formulary. When there is an option between generic and name brand, Yukon Pharmacare will only pay for the generic drug. The program will also cover the dispensing fee.

Please note that you will be charged the cost of your drugs if you do present your Pharmacare card when you pick up the drug. Yukon Pharamcare may refund this amount but you must submit the original receipt.

What drugs are covered?

To view a list of all the drugs that are covered, please visit: http://www.hss.gov.yk.ca/drugformulary.php

You can receive coverage for drugs that are not covered under this formulary by applying for Exception Drug Status. More information about Exception Drug Status is included in the above formulary.

What coverage is there for hepatitis C medications?

For specific information on coverage for hepatitis C medications, visit hepCinfo.ca's Treament Coverage in Your Region.

Consideration for travelers

If a Canadian physician from another province or territory prescribes a drug for you, you can still receive that drug from a Yukon pharmacy. However, you may not be covered by your home province’s drug plan. It is best to consult with your own pharmacist beforehand.

If you are leaving Yukon, please take note: you will no longer be eligible for Yukon Pharmacare benefits if you are away from the territory for more than 183 consecutive days – unless you have informed the Director of Insured Health Services that Yukon is your only permanent residence.

If you have recently moved to Yukon, you must first register for Yukon Health Care Insurance in order to apply for Yukon Pharmacare. Be aware this may take several months.